For industrial companies that use a source of raw water for their factory, some form of raw water treatment system is typically needed to ensure an efficient process and quality product. The most suitable method for raw water treatment would help the facility prevent costly plant downtime, high maintenance costs and not being able to sell the goods on the market, among other troublesome issues.
Raw Water Treatment System
A raw water treatment system is a system composed of multiple individual technologies that address your specific needs for raw water treatment. Raw water treatment is rarely a static process, and a raw water treatment system designed to lodge fluctuations in treatment needs will go a long way in avoiding costly downstream upgrades.
An effective and well-designed system for treating raw water should be able to handle:
– Seasonal Turbidity and Flow Variations
– Changes in water chemistry requires and needed adjustments in chemical volumes
– Changes in demands on water quality
The exact constituents of the raw water treatment method depend on the nature of the water from which it is extracted in relation to the water quality provided, but in general the basic raw water treatment system generally involves several forms of:
– Chemical feed to help release or coagulate any suspended solids
– Clearer for settling larger solids
– Filtration to kill small particles
– A control panel
These standard components are usually adequate depending on the needs of your plant and process; however, if your plant requires a system that provides a bit more customization, you might need to add some features or technologies. A raw water treatment system may be composed of the technologies needed to eliminate any number of the following:
– Suspended and colloidal solids: they can cause undesirable odours to your plant in food and beverage products, foul processing equipment, and produce energy loss.
– Colloidal silica: they often scale boiler equipment and decrease the plant equipment efficiency and cause contamination of the product.
– Iron: fouls industrial processes, coats fixtures and the product causes foul odours.
– Bacteria: can cause severe digestive problems and health concerns, as well as components of the coat cooling tower.
Raw Water Treatment Process
During the raw water treatment disinfection process, bacteria in water treatment plant are treated to kill the bacteria in the water. Then the below processes take place.
– Softening Lime
A lime and/or lime soda solution is used in waters where you have sulphates or high hardness, or other constituents that you need to extract. It elevates the pH, causing water hardness to rush out. The processes of hot or cold lime may be used and each will produce a different output. Hotter water generally removes more toughness.
– Softening Ion Exchange
In some industrial and municipal applications, there may be post-treatment for removing the hardness, if there is high hardness.
Bacteria in distribution network can cause various health issues. To avoid such issues, colour of raw water is checked and the raw water treatment process is done.
The author of this article has been working in a company that offers BACTOSENSE that helps in microbiological monitoring of drinking water. In this article, he has mentioned a few process that take place during the raw water treatment and about the Bacteria in distribution network. Visit https://prodetec.com.au/